Domestic Employees and Nanny Taxes
It’s a topic we get asked about a lot, and yes, if you guide them on the work that you want done and HOW you want it done, then you do need to pay domestic workers as employees.
It will bring you peace of mind that you’re in compliance, avoiding penalties – and you’ll attract top-level candidates for the job.
If you have to file to become an Employer, it’s easier than you think.
We’re here to help answer any questions along the way.
What is a domestic employee?
Household employees and domestic workers can include:
- Nannies and Babysitters
- Gardeners and Landscapers
When you hire staff to help manage your home or care for a dependent, this means you must comply with State and Federal employment rules.
When you pay wages to any of these household support workers, and that amount exceeds a certain amount in a calendar year, you will need to provide your staff with proper pay-stubs, as well as withhold the required tax withholdings.
The year-to-year amount can change based on IRS guidelines. In 2020 that amount is $2,200.
Who is NOT a household employee?
Plumbers, contractors, electricians and the like who provide their services as independent contractors, are not considered employees no matter how often you use them.
How We Can Help
- Pacific Payroll Group can be your household employee payroll service for a low monthly fee. Including all the admin tasks involved – payroll tax deductions, tax reports & filings, W2s, direct deposit, online access, and more.
- You don’t have to process your own payroll or calculate tax deductions, worrying about when certain taxes are due, or having to prepare and file quarterly reports to the IRS and State (which have certain filing requirements that have to be met).
- Pacific Payroll Group handles all of that for you, we remove the complexity.
- It’s way easier and more affordable than you might think. Simply request a free quote based on your own, unique situation.
Why Choose Pacific Payroll Group?
Whether it’s a big company with lots of employees or a husband and wife or self-employed individual, we’re always happy to help.
We have dedicated payroll specialists in-office to work with you, to customize solutions for your particular set up.